1. Degrading language. One may use sarcasm to hurt or invalidate your feelings in a degrading manner. Then, they may dismiss you when you address the offensive behavior.
2. Dominating or Controlling Behaviors: Acting superior to you by belittling you or treating you like a child. According to the video, Kati mentioned that this can show up as your partner dismissing your plans and aspirations by referring to them as stupid or unimportant. Also can show up as manipulative behavior, financial control, etc.
3. Accusing/Blaming: Other person does not accept blame and cannot accept criticism. Casts blame on you or accuses you of things you did not do.
4. Neglect: Not meeting basic emotional needs: ex: attention or affection.
5. Codependence / Enmeshment: Treats children like an extension of themselves; make choices for you, over shares personal information, negate your needs by assuming what’s best for you instead of supporting you to make the decision on your own (infringing on autonomy & boundaries.) Partner or parents may shame you when you try to gain autonomy or make advance towards independent thought or activities.
6. Gaslighting: “it’s a mechanism to control others through manipulation.” No alignment between action and alignment. Projecting what they are doing onto other person.
7. Uses people close to you and using it as ammunition to doubt yourself.
What can you do to get help? Call 1-800-799-SAFE Or visit https://www.thehotline.org/help/